In 1841 The Octagon opened as a beautifully designed island retreat by Alexander Jackson Davis, the era’s most influential architect, known for his lavish estates.
Davis’ design for the building’s signature five-story octagonal rotunda incorporated stately blue-gray stone quarried on the island.
So beautiful was the rotunda that visiting English novelist Charles Dickens praised the building as “remarkable,” its flying spiral staircase “spacious and elegant” as it rose from an illuminated glass-brick floor.
In 2006, The Octagon was renovated into an upscale, green residential community with the addition of two wings connected to the original octagonal building, boasting brand new homes ranging from studio to 3 bedroom penthouses. In 2019, all of the interior spaces in the octagonal building were renovated as well, to provide residents modern, state-of-the-art and luxurious amenities.
The famed rotunda now houses a grand entrance lobby, newly renovated first class amenities and fully refurbished units into what is now one of Manhattan's most elegant and distinctive buildings.